- This event has passed.
Getting better with practice? Is environmental management in the Hunter advancing?
June 23, 2010 @ 1:00 pm - 5:30 pm
This seminar will look at our current knowledge and practice, and how and where as an industry and community we are making advances. Our five speakers are regional leaders who will focus on emerging issues, management attitudes and skill/capacity to achieve sustainable outcomes in the region. We will follow with a panel discussion focusing on the current and emerging issues and how well equipped we are to deal with them effectively. The seminars will be followed by a dinner with keynote speech to be given by Mr Simon Molesworth AM, QC, who will bring a national and international perspective to the discussions. The seminars will run from 1pm to 5:45pm and be followed by drinks. Dinner starts at 6:30pm. The venue will be Newcastle Town Hall. Poster Presentations are welcome.
Seminar presentations (pdf format) are available via links given below. The event has also been video recorded, and this will be available early in July 2010.
Opening address and scene setting presentation to be provided by:
– Brian Gilligan (Director, Hunter Valley Research Foundation; Chairman, Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment; Assistant Natural Resources Commissioner NSW; Non-executive Director, Sydney Water, and numerous other roles). A PDF of Brian’s presentation can be accessed here: Brian_Gilligan_HEI__Jun2010.pdf
Our four seminar speakers will be:
– Grahame Clarke (Manager, Hunter North East, NSW Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water); A PDF of Grahame’s presentation can be accessed here: Grahame Clarke HEI Presentation June 2010.pdf and associated maps Grahame Clarke Maps HEI June 2010.pdf
– Kevin Young (Managing Director, Hunter Water Corporation); A PDF of Kevin’s presentation can be accessed here: A PDF of Kevin’s presentation can be accessed here: Kevin Young HEI Presentation June 2010.pdf
– Fiona Marshall (General Manager, Hunter-Central Rivers Catchment Management Authority); A PDF of Fiona’s presentation can be accessed here: Fiona_Marshal_HEI_Jun2010.pdf
– Barbara Crossley (Director, Umwelt (Australia) Pty Limited). A PDF of Barbara’s presentation can be accessed here: Barbara_Crossley_HEI_Jun2010.pdf
The afternoon panel discussion will be chaired by an HEI representative. After summarizing what we have learnt and emerging key challenges for the future, the panel discussion will include questions from the floor to any of the speakers providing an opportunity to discuss questions and topics in more detail. Drinks and a poster session will follow which will allow for further informal discussions. For information on submitting a poster refer to the resource information linked to this page.
Evening key note speaker will be:
Simon Molesworth AM, QC. A PDF of Simon’s slides can be accessed here: Simon_Molesworth_HEI_Jun2010.pdf
Simon is very much involved in improving environmental management through the areas of professional and legal development. He is Immediate Past-President of the Environment Institute of Australia & New Zealand, and his other roles include global chairman of one of the largest environmental NGO groups in the world, INTO, and;chairman of an ASX listed geothermal company. Simon is an involved, engaging and highly qualified speaker.
For seminar attendance please register via the online registration on this page. Poster presentations are also being sought. Persons wishing to express their interest in event organisation or sponsorship should contact the committee via the secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Video production by the Faculty of Science and IT, University of Newcastle/Tom Farrell Institute with recording by Bruce Leaver (email@example.com). Sponsored by Hunter Environmental Consultants.