City of Newcastle was formed in April 1938 with the merger of Adamstown, Carrington, Hamilton, Lambton, Merewether, Newcastle, New Lambton, Stockton, Wallsend, Waratah and Wickham Councils.
City of Newcastle Council is responsible for looking after public facilities and providing community services. City of Newcastle provides more than 70 services such as:
- Town planning
- Construction and maintenance of local roads, streets and bridges
- Preservation of historic places
- Food and public health services
- Waste management and recycling
- Supervision of building and development control
- Parking control
- Maintenance of parks, golf courses, sporting fields, pools and beach facilities
- Provision and servicing of libraries, community centres, theatres and art galleries
- Pet registration and control
- Tourism services
- Promotion of economic development
- Child care facilities
- Fire prevention enforcement and many more.
Council has adopted a set of values to guide organisational behaviour:.
- Cooperation – We work together as an organisation, helping and supporting each other
- Respect – We respect diverse views and opinions and act with integrity
- Excellence – We strive for quality and improvement in everything we do
- Wellbeing – We develop a safe and supportive environment.